Introduction

When I moved to Seattle from the east coast about 25 years ago, I started to explore the city and the surrounding area by bike; first, commuting to work and then adding fitness rides to my commuting trips. What I found were challenging routes that gave me a great workout but also some beautiful scenery, great parks, spectacular views plus interesting restaurants, cafes, bistros and bakeries along the way to stop for a snack or a cold drink. I think that by traveling by bike, at my own pace on quite streets and trails, through neighborhoods and parks, I have seen the Seattle area in a way I would not have experienced otherwise. I want to share with you the rides that have given me such a unique insight into our city and surrounding area. Whether you are new to town or a native, I hope you’ll find something to enjoy in these rides that have become my favorites.

This blog describes several loop bicycle rides in and around the Seattle metropolitan area with rides for every level of cyclist. Many of the loop rides can be combined or can be done as a shorter “out and back ride”. Each loop described on this blog includes a convenient start/end point that offers ample parking for those transporting their bicycle. Any loop can be done in either direction.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Mercer Island - May Valley - Issaquah

This 55 Mile loop starts at Seward Park and heads north over the I-90 Bridge to Mercer Island. At Lid Park take a right onto West Mercer Way for a counter clockwise ride through the rolling, rural terrain. This 10 mile stretch of Mercer Island has no stop signs or lights so is a great training segment. Cross over I-90 and over the East Channel bridge to 118th Ave SE in Bellevue. Merge on to the bike trail which parallels I-405.  Ascend Lake Washington Blvd over I-405 and descend back on Lk WA Blvd to NE 44th St / Lincoln Ave NE for the ascent to Coal Creek Pkwy and SE May Valley Road. Enjoy the horse farms and  rural scenery of May Valley before turning onto Issaquah-Hobart Rd toward Issaquah. Parallel I-90 on Newport Way through Factoria back to Mercer Island and Seward Park


Riding down May Valley Road

For details on this route such as map, ride stats, full directions and elevation profile:visit RideWithGPS

No comments:

Post a Comment